Carroll did not have an answer in mind when he wrote the riddle.
He later came up with:
"Because it can produce a few notes, though they are very flat;
and it is nevar put wrong end in front!"
[Note the variant spelling of "never".]
Other authors have come up with:
- Because Poe wrote on both. [Sam Loyd] (This is my personal favorite.)
- Because the notes for which they are noted are not noted for being
musical notes. [Sam Loyd]
- Because it slopes with a flap. [Cyril Pearson]
- Because both have quills dipped in ink. [David Jodrey]
- Because they both have two eyes. [Izumi Yasui]
- Because there is a "B" in both. [E.V. Rieu]
Please send any questions or comments to:
Back to the Lewis Carroll
Back to Math Department Homepage